Saturday, October 28, 2006

Adoption Day

We had a big week here in Boston. Our second parent adoption went through, so we went down to the courthouse. A lot of my friends who are gay parents express annoyance that they have to go through this step. Personally, I am just grateful we live in a state were we have legal protections for my little family.

It was pretty dramatic though. We left really in the morning to get to the courthouse on time. But there was a huge accident in front of us. We were diverted into the tiny, congested streets of Roxbury on the last day of Ramadan. Traffic was at a complete standstill. We completely freaked out. We were yelling at each other, yelling at the other cars, the cops…everybody. We were so worried about what would happen if we were late. We finally get into downtown Boston, and of course, we couldn’t find parking anywhere. We parked in a handicapped space just so we could book it to the courthouse. (I’m not condoning this behavior. In our defense, we never do this sort of thing).

We went racing down the Financial District, flying past all of the morning commuters and big dig construction workers. We made it to the courthouse just in time. Then, our lawyer was 45 minutes late. She was stuck in the same traffic we were.

The judge couldn’t have cared less. She strolled in 15 minutes after our attorney came storming into the room. My wife was worried that she would grill her about her parenting skills. She did no such thing. She just picked our son up and let him chew on the gavel and pound on the keyboard. She was older, had really blonde hair, and just the thickest Boston accent you ever heard. She kept saying, “He’s so cute. I am going to sign the adoption papers over to me.”

Then she signed the papers and it was all over. We were at the clerks waiting for the ugly yellow adoption certificate. I looked over at our son and said, “You have no idea what’s going on, do you?” Then my wife’s mom said the sweetest thing. She said, “She knew he was her mother.”

We went to Legal’s afterwards. They had these delicious baked oysters. They were great.

Our little guy has had a cold since then. He has been pretty crabby. In fact, I have never seen him in such a bad mood. Every toy I gave him he would just through on the floor with a screech. Even when he’s intolerable, I love him so much. He is just my little streetfighter.


Kim said...

Congratulations on the second parent adoption. I'm afraid we fall into the category of "annoyed that we had to go through this step." With the legal marriage and the her-eggs-my-body, we really felt indignant that we should have to go through this at all. But, alas, we had a judge similar to yours and all was handled effortlessly and quickly and, well, I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a relief to be legal! Hooray for legal two mom families! Boo for traffic in Roxbury :)

Robin said...

Congratulations on your legal status! Glad you have that behind you. On to bigger and better things, right?

googiebaba said...

Thanks for your well wishes! We are glad to have it behind us. Now its onto Halloween.

Susan said...

yahoo Googiebaba!!!! We just had our adoption today. Fairly uneventful- just glad to have it done. Apparently we should STILL avoid Oklahoma?! See you soon...

googiebaba said...

Congratulations Susan! We were told to avoid OK too. I will say, if there is one state I think I can handle avoiding its Oklahoma.

Happy Halloween.