Sunday, March 04, 2007

Lentil and Vegetable Puree

This recipe is for Kim at Maddbabies. It is from the book, The Healthy Baby Meal Planner. She is looking for vegetarian recipes for her babies. This one is super easy and really nutritious. We are not vegetarians over here, but we try to get a lot of vegetables into lil’ guy’s diet.

Lentil and Vegetable Puree

2 Tablespoons butter
1 cup, sliced, washed leek
1 ½ cup chopped carrots
¼ cup split red lentils
1 ½ cup vegetable broth or water
1 cup cauliflower florets
½ apple, peeled, cored and chopped

Melt the butter and sauté the leek for about 5 minutes. Add the carrots and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the lentils and broth, bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for about 15 minutes. Add the cauliflower and apple and cook for another 15 minutes or until the lentils and vegetables are tender. Puree to the desired consistency.

Makes 8 portions (theoretically)

Speaking of vegetables, I am snacking on raw carrots right now, which is really unlike me. Since I am going back to work and will be unhappy separated from my baby, I decided I might as well go back on Weight Watchers. Now, my misery is complete.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Cool, thanks! Funny that you thought you needed a ploy to get me to visit your blog--I check it all the time! I haven't commented lately because, well, generally you're posts are so far superior in intelligence than any comment I could possibly come up with, thus I tend to stay quiet. I'm here, though! And I'm happy you got the job... sort of. I know how you fell--sometimes I miss my monsters when I am at class and, if by the grace of God I do get into nursing school next year, I will be consulting you about how to survive without them 30+ hours a week.

Good luck--I'll check in tomorrow to see how it goes.

googiebaba said...

Thanks Kim, you are sweet. I hope your kids like it. My son does - but he would eat anything.

I will let you know how the job goes. I'm sure you are going to make a great nurse. I am sure you will get in.