Sunday, May 28, 2006

My new Calvins

As I have mentioned in previous posts, my body has undergone a few changes since I started this adventure. I am beginning to think of my abdomen as collateral damage. In fact, my stomach looks like a Hummer ran over it and left tire tracks.

With summer fast approaching, I realized I needed to jump into the abyss, or TJ Max, and go buy new clothes. I wasn’t going to be fitting into my old ones any time soon.
The only problem is I am still a skinny person in my head. It’s never pretty when our delusions are stripped from us, and it’s particularly ugly when it happens in the dressing room of a discount retailer. I had originally picked up some cute size 12 shorts, thinking to myself, well, I know I am not a 6 anymore. A couple hours of later, and I realized, I fit into nothing in the women’s section. I had been banished to the Plus Size section where everything was a subtle shade of lime green or floral. I didn’t understand how this could be. I live in America, we are all fat here, shouldn’t plus sizes be the norm, and normal sizes be petite?

Just when I was about to leave the store empty handed, resigned to a few more months of maternity clothes, I discovered something, the men’s section. I may be a big woman, but I am only a medium sized man. And there clothes are cheaper and better made.

Friends tell me to hold on. It takes a year to get the weight off, and is nearly impossible to do while you are still breastfeeding. It’s never easy when your body changes, but in the meantime, I have some really great new shirts by Calvin Klein.

No comments: